Friendships After High School: The Road Between

BY MCKENZIE ZOBRIST

Some students seem to think that high school will never end. Abby Dodson, Sophie Borgerding, Abby Ewart, and Chloe Reavill have their own take on the experience.

Dodson left first, to the University of South Carolina. Borgerding and Ewart followed.

(Top left to lower right) Sophie Borgerding, Abby Dodson, Abby Ewart, and Chloe Reavill in seventh grade on a boat on the Ohio River.

Borgerding headed to Tulane and Ewart to the University of Cincinnati– then Reavill to the University of California Santa Barbara.

The group became friends around fifth grade when Dodson moved to Cincinnati from Charlotte, North Carolina, but didn’t become close until junior high. “Abby really took charge and solidified the group,” said Borgerding. They have been friends ever since.

At Mariemont, they, as well as other students, deemed themselves “the intersection” because there are four of them, just like how there are four stops at an intersection.

(Top left to bottom right) Abby Dodson, Chloe Reavill, Sophie Borgerding, and Abby Ewart at a Mariemont homecoming football game their senior year.

The intersection became close in high school through extracurriculars, sports and other events outside of school. Dodson’s advice to current high schoolers is to “take classes and extracurriculars with your friends so that you can make time with them as well as manage schoolwork.”

“You really find your true friends the summer after senior year,” said Borgerding. “The people I spent almost everyday with that summer are the ones I know I’m going to stay in touch with forever.”

Once the intersection started to move away to college, they realized they needed a plan to stay in touch. Each of the girls revealed that they planned to facetime every Sunday, but that didn’t fit into their busy schedules. Instead, they all try to text every single day.

“My high school friends really understood me so sometimes the texts are little life updates and other times it’s paragraphs on how I miss my mom’s cooking,” Dodson said.

Even though they’re miles apart, the girls’ friendship continues to grow.

Reavill revealed that she “forces them to send group pictures of themselves with their new friends and with labels so that she can know who they’re talking about when they’re telling her crazy stories.”

All of the girls have just begun the college experience, but they already have advice.

“No one is telling you what to do, where to be, or when to do your homework which is a lot different than high school,” said Ewart. Dodson’s advice to that is to “get work done in class, that way you can have time outside of class to do what you want.”

(Left to right) Abby Ewart, Sophie Borgerding, Chloe Reavill, and Abby Dodson on their graduation day.

According to the intersection, making friends in college is a “wild ride,” but everyone is experiencing the same things which makes it easier to connect. The people that the girls take classes with, room with, and meet on campus have become their closest friends. “Making friends in college is way easier than in high school because you are all in the same boat,” said Dodson.

Dodson, Borgerding, Ewart, and Reavill are just starting their lives on a new road. But they know that they will be friends forever.

“We have all been friends for a hot minute,” said Dodson, “but I wouldn’t want it any other way.”