A Community for You and Me

McKenzie Zobrist

BY MCKENZIE ZOBRIST

The halls of Mariemont High School are filled with images of the past, the present and — as of the start of the 2019-2020 school year — the future. Demolition will begin on June 4th when the doors close for summer. But until then, the students are appreciating their last few months in the same building that’s been here since the 1970-1971 school year.

Junior Isabella Sklena said, “I feel like Mariemont is just unique in the way it was built so I’m going to miss the memories I’ve had in different places.” She explained that she and her friends always eat lunch in spots such as the collaboration space or the library and that they know where to meet each other when walking to classes. “It’s just a good reprieve from classes, so I hope that’s still something we can do in the modulars and the new school,” Sklena said.

Freshman Jackson Stahl agreed with Skelena. Stahl said, “Mariemont has kind of a unique feel to it, so I hope that the new school doesn’t look generic like other schools.”

Just like Sklena and Stahl, many of the students have hopes for the new school.

Junior Lucas Wilner said he “hopes the new school has the same traditions about events such as holding themes for things like games, pep rallies and dances where all the students dress up in fun new ways to show support.” Wilner explained that one of his best memories was his freshman homecoming because of the atmosphere and the people.

The downstairs art room has tried to preserve the atmosphere and the people that have passed through Mariemont.

Senior Sarah Forbes said, “all of the AP studio kids paint the bricks on the wall in the downstairs art room and I’ll end up painting one this year.” The idea is that each AP art student gets to express who they are as students and artists on one brick.

Image of the downstairs art room AP art students’ bricks. Each student gets to portray themselves on one brick. Some chose to display their future by drawing their college logo, whereas others chose to display their personalities. (PHOTO BY ZOBRIST)

Forbes said, “I think that it’s a cool and important thing that Mariemont does for their art students and I’m kind of disappointed that it’s not going to be able to be carried over into the new school.” However, she explained she hopes the tradition will be carried on for other AP students in years to come.

Some of the bricks that AP art students painted last year that displayed their future at different universities. (PHOTO BY ZOBRIST)

Just as the bricks cannot be preserved, the artwork that lines the downstairs hallway will also be removed. The pieces will be given back to the alumni artists who created them.

Sophomore Lucy Dodson said, “I wish all of the artwork in the hallways would be carried on to the new school because it’s cool to see what all of the alumni did. Walking down and seeing the past along the walls is something cool that we do to remember them.”

In remembering the school, people have found that it’s more about the atmosphere that’s created when entering Mariemont High School rather than the school itself.

Senior Jackson Comer said something he will miss most about Mariemont High School is the people. “This place is not—obviously––the best structural-wise and it’s not beautiful, but the people are who make this place amazing.”

Students, faculty and alumni are still unsure about what’s in store for the new school, but one thing is certain: Mariemont High School will continue to serve as a community for anyone that walks its halls.