13 DECA students place in top three in district Mini Spring Competition

Ellie Trubisky (11), Sarah Comer (9), Mary Tully (10), Ryder Osgood (9), Timmy Ackerman (9), Lucy Lysaght (9), Mark Morgan (9), and Thomas Sauter (9) stand outside of Harrison High School following the competition. (PHOTO BY @mariemontdeca on Instagram)

McKenzie Zobrist

BY MCKENZIE ZOBRIST

13 Mariemont DECA (Distributive Education Clubs of America) students placed top 3 in the district Mini Spring Competition at Harrison High School this past Fri., Nov. 22. 

Most of the attendees were underclassmen. Freshman Sarah Comer said, “Only first year DECA students were invited, so it was mainly underclassmen, but there were also some upperclassmen.” 

Comer participated in the Apparel and Accessories Marketing event, while other students participated in events in Business  Management and Administration, Finance, Marketing, Entrepreneurship, Hospitality and Tourism, and Personal Financial Literacy categories 

The Mini Spring Competition consisted of a role play in front of a panel of judges for a specific scenario and a 100 question multiple choice test. Comer said, “The purpose of DECA is to prepare you for business jobs and scenarios in real life.”

Junior Ellie Trubisky, who placed second in the Principles of Hospitality scenario said, “I really enjoy DECA. I am able to get out of my comfort zone and apply quick thinking to a related topic that could happen in my life.”

For More information on DECA visit https://www.deca.org.

Freshman Sarah Comer and Junior Ellie Trubisky hold up their DECA awards. (PHOTO COMER)
DECA students wait for their awards to be announced. (PHOTO BY @mariemontdeca on Instagram)