Sculpture Class Creates Cardboard Chairs

Owen Dingle, Writer

BY OWEN DINGLE

Tara Hasselbeck’s sixth bell Sculpture class was given a challenge three weeks ago to create a cardboard chair that could support someone sitting on it.

Jacob Van Lieu’s scale model of their chair; notice the scale dimensions written on the cardboard. PHOTO BY DINGLE

The students were only allowed to use cardboard and glues (wood glue and hot glue) to create their sculptures by the deadline: Spring Break (March 24, 2017).

The students had some difficulty creating their chairs. Students were first instructed to create a small model of their chair before they began constructing their design.

Lucy Hanley and Ashley Rothert’s group was the first group to complete the construction of their chair, but it didn’t happen overnight.

Juniors Ashley Rothert and Lindsay Kaminer are beginning to paint their Alice in Wonderland themed chair. PHOTO BY DINGLE

“Figuring out how to get the chair to hold someone was the hardest thing about the project,” says Hanley. “We thought we had it figured out, and then someone sat on it and it almost broke, so that sucked.”

They are now focused on designing the exterior to make it look like it came from the story Alice and Wonderland. “Ours is Alice-in-Wonderland themed with roses for the Queen of Hearts, clocks for the rabbit, and playing cards. We’re gonna have quotes from the book all over it”

The class project allowed students with both engineering and artistic passions to thrive.

“I like painting it because I’m more of a detail person anyways,” Hanley says. “But like, if painting isn’t your thing, you don’t have to paint your chair. So that’s cool, too. Like if you’re all about the structure, you can focus on that.”

The chair project has not only made Andrew Sizer and Wally Renie grow as scholars, but also form a relationship as close friends. PHOTO BY DINGLE

Senior Andrew Sizer has been working hard alongside partner Wally Renie to finalize their chair before the deadline. “”The class is very interesting,” Sizer says. “Doing something new every day really keeps me on my toes” As you can see in the photograph to the right, Sizer and Renie still know how to have fun while “getting stuff done.”

Anthony Dimichele weeps as his project isn’t going as well as he planned. PHOTO BY DINGLE